JaybeesCrafts.com

Saturday, May 22, 2010

New Manzanita Bowl

I started the new bowl using the Manzanita wood.  I think I make a mistake in trying to let it dry.  I should have turned green and worked with what I ended up with.  This is a very hard wood to work, and lost a coffee mug in the process.  The piece of wood came off the lathe over my head, and right on the mug.  I could not have done it better if I was trying.

You be the judge of the rough bowl.  I love the grain and the way the cracks and knots leave an open space in the bowl.  I am going to let set for a week and come back and reshape and cut as thin as I can get without losing the whole bowl.  I have loaded it down with linseed oil which I hope will be compatible with the oil from the wood.

 Please let me know if you have any suggestions on finishing this bowl.  I am working with this wood for the first time and need all the help I can get. Check out my website at www.jaybeescrafts.com

No comments:

Post a Comment